captured action

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Wed, 28 May 2003 11:17:27 -0600

Hey Michael,
     Gonna agree with Bob on this one. IF (big if) the stretcher "hangs
down" in front of the block enough to account for the height difference
needed, then the stretcher comes off. I've seen several of these. (Don't
remember an Estey, though. Maybe....) Upward is quite common, on tenon-type
pieces mounted to the rim. Some angled, like some upright fallboard
assemblies, but most of the more modern (post 1900) ones are just straight
glides. There's not much room for a mallet, but you can slide the action
out a little, to get the end glides or key frame somewhat exposed right
under the stretcher. That will give you a nice contact point through to the
keybed. A long pry bar, rocker, or small J-bar will do the job quickly. The
trick is to put the fulcrum point on the head of a glide bolt. Use a block
or two, or a short piece of pipe. Get the contact point of the lever as
close to the end as possible, and keep the lever as parallel to the
stretcher as possible. You'll have to trade ends a couple of times. If you
can't move the action enough or position your lever on a solid point, then
use a larger block to spread the pressure around on the balance rail pins.
You can slip a shim under the front of the end keys to keep them
depressing, if you wish. Removing the up-stop rail, if there is one, may
help. You really don't need a huge area, you just need to have a lot more
force than you can get with a mallet. Worst case, you can run a 4X4
stretcher across from rim to rim, and use clamps. Keep them as square as
possible, as they can twist the stretcher off of there easily, glides and
all. A little lube on the inside face of the rim above and around the
stretcher won't hurt, and may prevent marring the finish. A shot of
furniture polish or lemon oil works fine. When re-installing, consider a
light sanding of the ends of the stretcher, and a bit of TFL-50, or Teflon
powder, or soapstone, or.... y'know.

Have fun,
Guy Nichols, RPT
Ft. Stinkin' Desert, NM