Backchecks height - tails length

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 29 May 2003 01:12:22 +0200

Without knowing for sure I may say that if the tails are shorter, that
looks like a sign of a good adaptation of the bore to an uneven
string's height, that occurs (was said) when the plate warps too much
when getting cold. Differences of a few mm in the medium ranges are
seen on some pianos, boring to keep the same attack angle of the
hammers shorten the tails.

I've seen some where the bore followed the string's height, and others
where it was "standard" while the string's height was not, causing
over centering, and the tech screwing the regulating balance rail
screws more than usual.

Over centering hammers are not well known for the strength of tone
they give, and this is not IMHO , only a question of letoff.

???

Isaac

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.