Cover your Bottom?

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Wed, 28 May 2003 20:12:15

Hi All,

I thought I would document the process I use for grand bottom covers.

Tools needed (see picture):
stapler
staple gun
small hammer
knut driver
scissors

Nice to have but not essential:
a trouble lamp
a headrest

Open the Dampp-Chaser cartons and do a "parts count" before you go to
the
job site. In particular look for 4 "long screws" for the light panel and
the watering tube.

When you arrive prepare the bottom cover by laying it out on the top of
the
piano as recommended by the Dampp-Chaser directions. Instead of using
adhesive tape to hold the cloth in place the long box on top of the
cloth.
I prefer to "square" the end of the cloth at the tail and then trim to
the
curved side of the lid.

Place your trouble lamp, staple gun and the small hammer beneath the
piano.
Separate the velcro tabs into "hooks" and "loops". Use the bag they
come in
to hold the "hooks" and the "parts" bag from the Dampp-Chaser for the
"loops".

Take the velcro hooks and lay down under the piano. Attach them
starting at
the middle of the tail. I find 5 work nicely for most instruments. Do
the
straight side next, making sure there is a velcro tab in each "corner".
Continue on doing the belly rail and the curved side.

Using the staple gun drive a single staple into each velcro square. Use
the
small hammer to tap any that don't end up buried in the velcro.

Install the Dampp-Chaser in your usual manner taking care to plan the
humidistat location as directed in the bottom cover kit.

Stick the velcro tabs back together under the piano.

Remove the paper covers on the velcro on the straight side of the piano.

Starting at the belly rail *touch* the cloth to the velcro, then pull it
loose and use two staples to permanently fasten it to the cloth. Re
attach
to the velcro loop, and move to the next "tab". Repeat until you reach
the
tail.

Move to the curved side of the instrument and again starting at the
belly
rail move towards the tail. You will likely find that there is fabric
needed to be "folded under" I prefer to put the staples thru both
layers of
cloth when this happens.

Do the belly rail next and finally the tail.

Approximate install time is between 2 to 2.5 hours including the six
part
Dampp-Chaser.

[Photo at:]

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/1d/2e/5f/f6/DCtools2.jpg