I don't mean checking too high!

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Thu, 29 May 2003 11:02:07 +0200

On woensdag, mei 28, 2003, at 17:35 Europe/Amsterdam, Don wrote:

> Hi Antares,
>
> I can offer a "test" if you wish. Take a dampher and deliberately mal
> adjust it to be very close to the string--now play the note. You will
> find
> the sound limited and not "open". Now return the dampher to a more
> normal
> setting. The power will be back.
>
> The same thing would be true if the hammer is checking *too close* to
> the
> string.

I suppose you mean that the damper returns too fast down on the string?
if so, that is a purely mechanical and controllable situation.

btw...... I got the impression that some people think that I meant the
hammer to check high on the back check.

That is not da case.

I talked about adjusting the height of the back check and checking the
distance between the hammer tail and the top of the back check AFTER
drop, which then should be 2 mm. In fact the hammer has not checked
because we slowly depress the key so that let off and drop take place
without the hammer actually bouncing from string into back check.
It remains a mystery to me.
What also remains a mystery is why a tone improves after installing
brand new back checks.
We often replace worn back checks completely because it is faster and
more economical, instead of replacing the leather.
Every time we replace the complete back checks the tone is 'newer'.

Antares,
The Netherlands

see my website at : www.concertpianoservice.nl