Shifting vertical keyboard

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Thu, 29 May 2003 16:39:29 +0100

Delwin Feurich wrote,

>>"And I wonder why more don't have it today. It's not all that difficult to
design and/or build and shouldn't add all that much to the final cost. ">>

Perhaps they realise that it would be totally wasted on most pianos,
considering that about 90% of households do not have their pianos tuned
regularly enough. That una corda shift creates an amazing sound, but the
piano has to be perfectly in tune. Even then the effect only seems to me to
last about 20 minutes after the piano has just been tuned. When the piano is
tuned, it sings, and when the una corda is shifted, it makes the piano sound
like a heavenly choir. I had always suspected that it changed the harmonic
content i.e. changed the relative amplitudes of the upper partials. I
experimented once to find out what was going on and recorded the before and
after effect into an FFT analyzer. To my astonishment, it was not the
partials that increased in volume relative to the fundamental, but the
fundamental had increased in volume relative to the harmonics. The mandolin
rail appears to have the opposite effect.

It's a pity that most people and kids learning piano never ever get to hear
what their own piano is supposed to sound like and what an amazing sound it
can produce. If they just heard it once, then I think they would have their
instruments tuned much more often.

Regards
Alan Forsyth
Edinburgh