Upright parts salvage

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 30 May 2003 01:37:10 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Paul Mulik=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 8:28 AM
  Subject: Upright parts salvage

  Hello list,

  When disposing of an old worthless piano, what parts are worth saving? =
 I've
  got an old clunker of an upright that a relative dropped off at my =
house
  when I was out of town for the day (wasn't that nice of him?  At least =
  didn't have to help move it.)  This is one of those chopped-down =
"mirror"
  jobs, with several coats of paint on it.

  I figured on saving the action, the pedals, and the casters.  Should I =
keep
  anything else?  Naturally, if it had ivory keytops I would save them, =
but
  this particular gem has all plastic keytops (I guess I'll save a few =
of the
  sharps).  The person who dropped it off told me that the old keytops =
were
  down inside the bottom of the cabinet, so I opened 'er up and sure =
enough
  there they were, but they're plastic too.  Why anyone went to the =
expense of
  putting new keytops on this thing remains a mystery.

  Paul Mulik

  The screws!  They don't make screws as well anymore.  Action parts =
aren't really worth saving except maybe a few for odd replacements, =
especially if they're a type that's no longer made.  But action hardware =
like damper lift rod hinges and action bolt nuts are worth saving.  =
Bottom boards, as Terry said, are worth saving if they're not split -- =
for replacing split ones on other pianos.  And pedals.  I save almost =
all the hardware, especially casters that still work OK.  Many times I =
have had to replace only one or two casters on an old upright.  But =
tuning pins, keys, key buttons, strings, capstan screws, keyframes, =
keypins are not worth keeping except for making homemade tools, gizmos, =
or other odd uses.  Some techs keeps an old keyframe as a rack when =
refinishing sharps.  Depends what you've got room for.  A store I worked =
for used an old upright carcass as a flower planter in front of the =
store.  You'll only get a few cents at a scrap metal yard for the plate. =
  --David Nereson, RPT  =20