Backchecking Height and an incredible help

Classic Touch Ent classictouchent@comcast.net
Thu, 29 May 2003 11:31:20 -0400

Hello bewildered backcheckers,

My WAG on backcheck height adjust increases volume.

We know the only thing that affects volume (in an otherwise prepared=20
piano) is velocity of the hammer. So how can adjusting backcheck height=20=

to 2mm
below hammer tail affect hammer velocity? It seems from what has been=20
written so far is that invariably the height of the backcheck is being=20=

lowered. We know that the position of the backcheck is near as far at=20
the end of the teeter totter as we get (excepting the damper 'stack')=20
AND that the backchecks relationship to the key is 'tangential?' (it=20
swings in an arc leveraged by the point at which the backcheck stick=20
intersects the key). The effect of bringing the backcheck closer to the=20=

key places the backcheck closer to the balance rail AND diminishes the=20=

tangential relationship of the check.

Possibly this allows the hammer to be accelerated faster for any given=20=

input (but probably more so at soft play)? Renewing backchecks would=20
have the same effect because of proper height adjustment (rather than=20
because they are new). An easy way to check this effect might be to see=20=

what happens if the backcheck is removed altogether. )No, I didn't=20
check any of this out because risk taking is so much more entertaining=20=

:-)))

Best, Rich Olmsted

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 03:34 AM, Richard Brekne wrote:

> =A0
>
> BobDavis88@aol.com wrote:
>
> =A0
> Hafta say I ain't buying this. The excursion of the string is so=20
> slight that I can't believe that an object 1/2" away could cause air=20=

> to offer much impedance. I'm willing to bet if I held my thumb 1/2"=20
> from the string right above the strike point, no one could tell me=20
> when it was there and when it wasn't, blindfolded.
>
> Cant say I blame you. Does sound a bit fantastic.... to put it mildly.=20=

> But next time you run into a grand that has obviously high checks you=20=

> can try this out.
>
> Take any old note...maybe say A4 :), get a sense for its volume and=20
> compared with its neighbors. Run a few chromatics up and down. Then=20
> lower its back check to exactly 2 mm under the tail at drop and listen=20=

> again.
>
> See what you think. I dunno, maybe you wont buy it then too. Maybe its=20=

> like the proverbial green light at that last millisecond of sunset at=20=

> sea..... But I do know what I heard.
>
> Sorry I don't have something more positive to offer as an explanation=20=

> for optimal checking=3Dlouder tone. I'll be watching this space=20
> anxiously.
>
> Bob D
>
> =A0RicB
>
> --