Hamburg hammer replacement

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Thu, 29 May 2003 20:47:15 -0700 (PDT)

In consideration of when it is time to replace a set of grand hammers, what factors come into play besides 1. overcentering due to previous filing down to a smaller size
2. a shape, such as too flat on the face, which too much filing would be required without ruining the shape in order to correct.

If a set of hammers on a 9' Hamburg (about 11 years old) have a shape from previous reshaping jobs that appears quite rounded and with no "sloped shoulders"  would this have a negative effect on tonal production?  In other words how important is the shape?  Steinway manual discusses the need for the sloped or narrowed shoulders doesn't it?  These hammers appear to be small to me without much felt left between wood and crown even in mid range.

I have tried to search archives but haven't found what I was looking for.

Any suggestions for evaluation criteria?

Bob