Hamburg hammer replacement

Fri, 30 May 2003 07:56:23 +0200

Bob Hull wrote:

 In consideration of when it is time to replace a set of grand hammers,
what factors come into play besides

     1. overcentering due to previous filing down to a smaller size

     2. a shape, such as too flat on the face, which too much
     filing would be required without ruining the shape in order to
     correct.

The basic tonal characteristics.... whether they'be been needled to
pieces or not would have to be on the list IMV
 If a set of hammers on a 9' Hamburg (about 11 years old) have a shape
from previous reshaping jobs that appears quite rounded and with no
"sloped shoulders"  would this have a negative effect on tonal
production?  In other words how important is the shape?  Steinway manual
discusses the need for the sloped or narrowed shoulders doesn't it?
These hammers appear to be small to me without much felt left between
wood and crown even in mid range.
The shape of the hammer does indeed have an affect on tone, tho whether
that is experienced as a positive or negative is a bit more difficult a
subject to deal with. Steinway specifies a more or less "V'd" egg
shape.  Just how much felt do you have left ? Less then 2 mm of felt on
the tops of the trebles is getting right down there.
 I have tried to search archives but haven't found what I was looking
for. Any suggestions for evaluation criteria? Bob

A Hamburg D is for sure one of the finest instruments in the world. It
deserves pretty much the best care possible so a chang of worn and old
hammers shouldnt even see any hesitation at all. The best criteria I can
think of is the knowledge that that new set (if appropriatly choosen and
installled) will impart a huge improvement to the sound of the
instrument. I would suggest you contact some of the techs in Europe to
see if they might be of help procuring a set of origional Hamburg
hammers.

Cheers

--
Richard Brekne