stringing questions

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 01:16:57 EDT

In a message dated 5/29/2003 11:36:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
piano@charlesneuman.net writes:

> My coil lifter wouldn't fit between the tuning pins on a spinet, and it
> was tricky getting it to fit on a grand whose string I replaced. What do
> you do if it doesn't fit? Are there coil lifters that work better in
> confined spaces?

Charles,

Two suggestions. First, most coil lifters are way too hunky as they come from
the coil lifter store. Grind the ears thinner. Second, they really won't fit
some tight pin spacings. I use a string hook as I am putting tension on the
string. When it is barely snug, I leave my tuning lever on the pin, the string
hook on the wire as it leaves the coil, and pry up the other side of the coil
with a screwdriver, using a nearby tuning pin as fulcrum. If the tension is
right, it will stay in place. Then I bring it on up to pitch, continuing to pull
up w/the string hook.

I always use a dummy pin to make as many coils as I can slip over the pin,
but I realize that sometimes the pin is very close to the pressure bar. In that
case, I might only make one coil on the dummy.

Bob Davis