Backchecking Height and an incredible help

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 07:24:25 -0700

I think this is right. From the recent discussion on how much the action =
parts flex, especially on a concert grand because of the heavier =
hammers, the backcheck could brush the hammer tail on a FFF blow but not =
be detected by using your hand to pressure the hammer and won't happen =
unless you try to hit a very hard blow. That would decrease the volume =
only on the hardest blows but not have an effect on soft or medium =
blows. Lowering the backcheck (we are not talking about checking height =
here we are talking about the height of the backcheck) would give the =
hammer a fraction of a second longer to get out of the way.
Keith Roberts
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: Pianotech ; Richard Brekne=20
  Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 1:08 AM
  Subject: Re: Backchecking Height and an incredible help

  My guess is that if the hammer is checking so high that the tail rubs =
on the backcheck on the way up (just slightly) it will diminish hammer =
speed and the volume will be thus diminished making it seem like it is =
the close checking that is the cause.   Otherwise, I put this in Carl =
Sagan's "Demon Haunted World".

  David Love
  davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

    ----- Original Message -----=20