Backchecking Height and an incredible help

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 31 May 2003 00:28:55 +0200

On vrijdag, mei 30, 2003, at 16:24 Europe/Amsterdam, Keith Roberts=20
wrote:

> I think this is right. =46rom the recent discussion on how much the=20
> action=A0parts flex, especially on a concert grand because of the=20
> heavier hammers, the backcheck could brush the hammer tail on a FFF=20
> blow but not be detected by using your hand to pressure the hammer and=20=

> won't happen unless you try to hit a very hard blow. That would=20
> decrease the volume only on the hardest blows but not have an effect=20=

> on soft or medium blows. Lowering the backcheck (we are not talking=20
> about checking height here we are talking about the height of the=20
> backcheck) would give the hammer a fraction of a second longer to get=20=

> out of the way.
> Keith Roberts

And yet, even if you don't bang on a piano, you will notice a tonal=20
improvement when you adjust the back check height with the 2mm result.
Try it out and tell me what you think?

Antares,
The Netherlands

see my website at : www.concertpianoservice.nl