No-show fees?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 30 May 2003 11:17:43 -0500

>List,
>
>Perhaps we should explain to the customer that not only was the time
>lost that another customer could use, but that every minute we're not
>working costs us as business people.  The rent, utilities, insurance,
>depreciation, etc. keeps the meter running on that side even if we're
>not generating revenue.  Sure there are times when we set priorities on
>other things that we have to accomplish, but their absence does cost.
>
>Something to consider...
>
>Allan

I do exactly that - after the fact. It's when the person referred to me
calls to set up that first appointment that's the problem. They don't want
to hear a speech on an offense they haven't yet committed (and usually
never will), nor do I want to spend ten minutes delivering one and
offending their honor before I even meet them. I don't think these no-show
folks are evil or insensitive, they just don't have the remotest idea how
independent service people make a living. They assume we get company
supplied health insurance, 10 paid holidays and two weeks paid vacation a
year as well as paid sick leave, a payroll savings plan and company vehicle
- whether we actually produce any work or not on a day to day basis. What
we do is just totally alien to them.

Wim's suggestion is a good one when it's the dealer himself, or the
dealer's employee that's going out and doing the tuning, but doesn't work
when independent self-employed techs are doing the tunings. Phil's
suggestion works when the dealer is willing to take responsibility for the
customers' actions, which isn't often the case.

Mailing out information pamphlets to all new customers before the
appointment, explaining that we are living creatures that need to eat in
order to support life, that we may be better able to meet their service
requirements might actually work (if anyone read it), but would waste more
time and cash than the no-shows themselves and there would still be the
occasional no-show in spite of it all.

It's probably just a lost cause.

Ron N