Hamburg hammer replacement

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 30 May 2003 19:03:31 +0200

On vrijdag, mei 30, 2003, at 15:55 Europe/Amsterdam, Bob Hull wrote:

> Richard Brekne=A0 wrote:
>
> A Hamburg D is for sure one of the finest instruments in the world. It=20=

> deserves pretty much the best care possible so a chang of worn and old=20=

> hammers shouldnt even see any hesitation at all.=A0 I would suggest =
you=20
> contact some of the techs in Europe to see if they might be of help=20
> procuring a set of origional Hamburg hammers.
>
> Would these "original" hammers be different from those you would get=20=

> if you ordered Hamburg hammers from Steinway parts dept. on New York?=A0=
=20
> Also, does the Hamburg hammer require the same tone building process=20=

> as the NY Steinway hammer, i.e. lacquer or acetone/keytop solution..?
>
> =A0
>
> Bob Hull

The Hamburg Steinway hammers have nothing in common with the NY hammers=20=

which, as you mentioned "require the tone building process as the NY=20
Steinway hammer, i.e. lacquer or acetone/keytop solution".

Steinway's in Europe do not use much hammer dope and if they need it is=20=

applied only in the highest treble and the lowest bass hammers. The=20
hammer dope they use at this moment in Hamburg is lacquer with thinner.=20=

Traveling STW techs also use collodion.
The Hamburg STW is made with the famous Wurzen felt which is the most=20
resilient felt at this moment.
We had a discussion about this not long ago but not many technicians on=20=

this list seem interested enough in this most beautiful felt used by=20
the 'piano Deities' only (STW, B=F6send. Bechstein, Schimmel, Yamaha=20
CFIII-S, and lesser others.

Antares,
The Netherlands

see my website at : www.concertpianoservice.nl