hammers

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 31 May 2003 16:58:51 +0200

On zaterdag, mei 31, 2003, at 13:12 Europe/Amsterdam, A440A@aol.com
wrote:

>    It is plausible that the deformation of the hammer under a strong
> blow
> would flatten out this strike point, so I wonder if the egg-shape
> allowed the
> more efficient production of the higher partials under soft play?  ie,
>  if it has
> a small contact area when played softly, there are less higher partials
> cancelled out by the "footprint" on the string, creating a more
> complex spectrum,
> even though the softness favored the fundamental.
>    On a lacquer soaked hammer, there seems to be little difference in
> the
> tonal range due to shape.
> Regards,
> Ed Foote RPT

As you said, "a small contact area cancels out less higher partials".
What I find so interesting is that STW's in particular need this
diamond shape hammer and change for the better if indeed we take the
time and energy to do a beautiful hammer shaping job.
A Bechstein for instance changes for the worst with the diamond shape
and, as said before, the YAM's too.
Equally important is the hammer felt and what you put into it, or not
plus, of course, what kind of felt was used in the first place? and
indeed, was it 'doped', or not?

Antares,
The Netherlands

see my website at : www.concertpianoservice.nl