hammer shapes and symmetry

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 31 May 2003 07:12:10 EDT

Richard writes:
>> The shape of the hammer does indeed have an affect on tone, tho
> whether that is experienced as a positive or negative is a bit more
> difficult a subject to deal with. Steinway specifies a more or less
> "V'd" egg shape.

    I have come to believe that the Steinway shape provides for additional
tonal range.  The shape is formed out of an uncarved felting, so the tip of the
hammer is basically felt which is "freed" from the underlying mass.  On a
dense felt, often with hardener soaked into it, this bit of felt is less connected
to the grain of the hammer felt's bulk and allows a softer tone on pianissimo
playing, yet doesn't interfere with the harder felt underneath it when the
force of play goes up.
    This whole concept may be more applicable to the earlier hammers I find
on older STeinways.  In spite of being told that hardener has ALWAYS been used,
I have cut and filed way too many original Steinway hammers from the '20's
and '30's to believe it.  Many of those old sets don't appear to have had any
hardener in them, at all.  The felt was also harder in the middle of the hammer
than what I see today.  If this is so, then the egg-shape allowed a mechanical
graduation of density that rapidly softened as it approached the strike
point.
   It is plausible that the deformation of the hammer under a strong blow
would flatten out this strike point, so I wonder if the egg-shape allowed the
more efficient production of the higher partials under soft play?  ie,  if it has
a small contact area when played softly, there are less higher partials
cancelled out by the "footprint" on the string, creating a more complex spectrum,
even though the softness favored the fundamental.
   On a lacquer soaked hammer, there seems to be little difference in the
tonal range due to shape.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/