Touchy subject

Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:51:50 -0800

Ask them how much they wish to spend on each piano and prep in proportion to what you are being paid.  Choose the things that need the most attention and will help give the best impression to the potential buyer.  In my opinion that would be things like:  key easing and lubrication, blow distance, let-off and drop, tuning, hammer fitting and quick light crown voicing, quick check of the pedals.  It will depend on how much time (money) you are given.  My experience is that you will rarely be given enough time to address all the things you would like to address.  Just do the best you can within the limits set by the dealer.  Let the dealer know if there are things that should be addressed that cannot be within the scope of what they are willing to allocate.  Don't make their problem yours!

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 10/31/2003 8:25:50 PM
Subject: Touchy subject

People,
      I am in need of some professional information that some of you can supply and I would be grateful if you will share.  I really need to know how much time I should budget to do a dealer prep on a new piano.  NOT PRICES, JUST TIME.
     Now before I get any irate answers about different pianos requiring different times, I understand all that.  These particular pianos are Chinese and I understand they will require more time than a Yamaha.  (At least I've been told that.)
     What I crave is like, what would be your best guess as to how much time would be required to do a dealer prep on an average piano, in average condition, for an average dealer.  I know a lot of assumptions will have to be made and I apologize for being so vague but I have not done a dealer prep and am not sure what all you need to do.  I am assuming you check all tolerances like blow, dip, letoff, etc. and adjust to spec.
Thanks a bunch,
Charles Cron