Touchy subject

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 06:56:13 -0700

Charles, it's going to be a hard call to put one time schedule on =
Chinese pianos, you may see one which needs only tuning and a little =
lubrication, and the next one is a total basket case and won't hardly =
play the way it is. For an average, you could probably quote 4 hours and =
come out on average without losing your shirt.
And let's face it, out of the box, you're going to to doing a pitch =
adjustment on every single one of them.=20
For a quick prep you should also be bedding the keyframe, easing the =
balance rail holes ( which believe it or not makes a big difference in =
the feel of the piano), checking the front rail bushings, check damping, =
and hope the piano doesn't need a complete overhall in any one area.  =
Bad dampers come to mind here as one of the biggest pitfalls which can =
eat your time up.
Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannerman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 9:25 PM
  Subject: Touchy subject

  People,
        I am in need of some professional information that some of you =
can supply and I would be grateful if you will share.  I really need to =
know how much time I should budget to do a dealer prep on a new piano.  =
NOT PRICES, JUST TIME.
       Now before I get any irate answers about different pianos =
requiring different times, I understand all that.  These particular =
pianos are Chinese and I understand they will require more time than a =
Yamaha.  (At least I've been told that.)
       What I crave is like, what would be your best guess as to how =
much time would be required to do a dealer prep on an average piano, in =
average condition, for an average dealer.  I know a lot of assumptions =
will have to be made and I apologize for being so vague but I have not =
done a dealer prep and am not sure what all you need to do.  I am =
assuming you check all tolerances like blow, dip, letoff, etc. and =
adjust to spec.
  Thanks a bunch,
  Charles Cron