Make a soundboard--Measurements

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 01 Nov 2003 10:07:58 -0600

>>Realistically, the exact shape of the described arc isn't anything like
>>critical to the ultimate performance of the assembly. The chosen radii and
>>rib dimensions, balanced against the anticipated bearing load and resulting
>>deflection are significantly more important.
>

>  My question is:  why express these rises of arc in such an arcane
> fashion as radius of a HUGE circle? Is it because of the need to be
> uniform despite the length of arc required ?
>Glenn C.

Convention and convenience. A radius length gives people a simple magic
number that describes a shape with minimal information and provides a
common language for communication. As I said above, I doubt that it much
matters what exact shape the ribs are crowned to. It won't be that shape in
use in the piano in any case.

Ron N