spinet hammer blow

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:17:32 -0500

Subject: spinet hammer blow

Got a 1967 wurlitzer spinet. Virtually perfect, UNused condition. little
or
no wear on action; which brings me to this point: Action in good
regulation,
except the hammer blow distance is only 1 3/8"! Slightly less in the
bass.
ONE HALF INCH closer to the strings than the usual
1 7/8".  Hammer rail height has not been altered from factory. The
action
works just fine the way it is, so should I leave well enough alone, or
REMOVE some felt from under the hammer rail? (Btw, the hammer rail is
resting firmly on the felt squares, which are original, and have not
been
heightened, and the hammer stems are also resting on the rail, with
capstans (sticker wires) correctly adjusted.)

Terry Peterson

Terry,
	If let off, after touch and key dip are correct and consistent I
wouldn't change the blow. You will get more power with longer blow
distance so check for shallow dip. If the dip is shallow you can shim
the balance rail increasing key height and dip at once allowing for more
blow distance. (assuming the fallstrip and keyslip  will allow)
	These pianos are often neglected service wise and some quick
regulation steps can really get these things playing well.
	All this being said I don't get many complaints from spinet
owners about lack of power. Now sticky keys------
	Tom Driscoll RPT