Yamaha GH1 "Econo" Bellyrail

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 16:54:00 -0500

A fine day for tuning - 4 Yamaha grands. Three C3s and a GH1. Well, =
three out of four ain't bad - and I'd rather tune a GH1 than quite a few =
pianos.

While tuning up the high treble of the GH1 I noticed that there was =
about a half-foot of space between the hammers and the belly rail - I =
thought maybe the action wasn't all the way in or something. Then I =
noticed that the belly rail is entirely along one line - there is no =
offset (widened) section for the high treble! The treble bridge has no =
undercut what-so-ever and the forward edge of the bridge is no more that =
1/4-inch from the forward edge of the soundboard panel - that means the =
soundboard is sandwiched between the bridge and the belly rail.=20

I wonder how efficiently that sucker vibrates! Could that prominent =
sharp THUD sound in the high treble when a key is struck be related to =
that design "feature"? I had never seen anything quite like THAT before.

Terry Farrell