Pull the action of a grand to dope?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 06:59:28 -0500

Perhaps even more likely than CA (or whatever) wicking through the =
tuning pin hole to the bottom of the pinblock is the possibility of CA =
pooling on top of the pinblock and running forward or backward and over =
the edge of the pinblock to whatever lies below - be it old newspaper on =
the keybed or an action. Better the former than the latter.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 6:50 AM
  Subject: Re: Pull the action of a grand to dope?

  Julie,=20
  I think it's the safest thing to do, but I haven't always done it.=20

  You want to avoid the possibility of the CA (if that is what you would =
use) running the whole way down through the pinblock and dripping onto =
the keys and gluing things together.  I have already just removed the =
fallboard and covered everything under the pinblock with a couple layers =
of newspaper.  That probably takes as long as just pulling out the =
action, but sometimes you have to work in tight spaces where pulling the =
action is awkward at best.=20

  When you're done, it wouldn't hurt to check the underside of the =
pinblock before removing the paper, just to make sure are no droplets of =
CA just hanging there, waiting to cause chaos after you think you're in =
the clear.=20

  Regards,=20
  Clyde=20

  Alpha88x@aol.com wrote:=20

    Greetings,=20
                 Does one pull the action out of a grand piano in order =
to dope?  If so, why?=20

    Thanx,=20
    Julie,=20
    Reading, Pa