Leveling Coils & Pinching Becket

Gordon Holley gholley@hi-techhousing.com
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 11:05:04 -0500

List.  I tuned a Kranish & Bach 5' Grand, 1918, last Saturday and was
amazed at a terrible job of restringing another local technician (not
a PTG member) did some 20 years back.  The owners had no idea what
they were looking at but here's what I saw.

1.	The pins were too high above the plate.
2.	The coils were not leveled AT ALL.
3.	The becket was not pinched in to the pin leaving a very visable
      open loop before coming back to the pin on the first coil.
4.	The strings were not spaced properly at all.

	I have read through my filed conversations between Roger Jolly, Ed
Foote, Joe Garrett, Jim Bryant, Isaac Oleg, Ron Nossaman, Richard
Brekne and Alan Barnard, on the subject of "String Settling" back on
July 12 & 13, 2003.

	Joe Jarrett said that Jim Bryant gave him a coil setting tool, which
I would assume would be used when restringing.  Is a picture of this
tool available?

	Main question:  I've not tried to level coils 20 years after the
piano was restrung.  How is it done?.  I do have the typical string
leveling tool.  This I didn't find in the discussions between these
sage individuals.

Regards,
Gordon Holley
Associate Member, Indiana Chapter 467