Leveling Coils & Pinching Becket

Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:05:14 +0100

Gordon Holley wrote:

> List.  I tuned a Kranish & Bach 5' Grand, 1918, last Saturday and was
> amazed at a terrible job of restringing another local technician (not
> a PTG member) did some 20 years back.  The owners had no idea what
> they were looking at but here's what I saw.
>
> 1.      The pins were too high above the plate.
> 2.      The coils were not leveled AT ALL.
> 3.      The becket was not pinched in to the pin leaving a very visable
>       open loop before coming back to the pin on the first coil.
> 4.      The strings were not spaced properly at all.

I suppose you mean that the coils were not pulled up nice and tight ??.. or do
you actually mean they werent level... or as level as you can make coils. ?
Loose beckets are a definate detrimant IMO... so you can squezze them right away
and be done with it. Ditto on string spacing.

What criteria did you have for saying the pins were too high above the plate ?
just curious.

>         Main question:  I've not tried to level coils 20 years after the
> piano was restrung.  How is it done?.  I do have the typical string
> leveling tool.  This I didn't find in the discussions between these
> sage individuals.

First off... there are at least two basic coil tightening tools... one that
pulls up on the fairly loose tool, and one that more or less bangs down on the
tight coil. There is another tool that you can use to bang upwards on the coil.
I can supply a picture of that if nobody else can... but I will need a couple
days.  Ideally, for the stringing job with the most class... all coils should be
nice and tight, exactly the same height over the plate (or open face block) and
have their beckets pointing in the same direction. Looks great... tho how much
of this actually is benificial to the stability of tunings is another question.

Leveled coils on top of that... well its just a further refinement... ... you
might have to go back and forth a bit... but just eyeball it.

In practice... we end up doing (most of us) less then absolutely perfect work.
If you run across a piano like you mention... we may take the time to at least
tighten some of the worst beckets. But unless the customer wants to pay for
straighting everything out as well as it can be.. we usually dont fix what isnt
broken. Course preferences vary... and I base my "we" on what I am used to
seeing in the world around me.

That said... when doing a restringing job myself... I like to take pains to get
it <<right>>.

Hope this helps a bit...

> Regards,
> Gordon Holley