VT info

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Tue, 04 Nov 2003 16:16:42 +0000

<snip>
I use a Peterson 490ST and it gets really annoying checking and correcting
stretch manually as you go, especially when tables aren't available when
tuning alternate (unequal) temperaments.  I've got two questions.  One:
does utilizing an alternate temperament compromise its auto-stretch
function.  Two: how well does that auto-stretch function work over bad
scaling breaks that sometime occur in the treble (even tenor) of cheap
pianos.

Andrew Anderson
Las Cruces NM
<snip>
\

Hi Andrew,
I'll give this a shot.....

No, an alternate temperament will not compromise whatever stretch style you
have selected on the Verituner, or any of the other calculating gear.  The
temperament offsets are added last, after all the calculations have been
made.  The second question gets to the heart of the matter.  There are
differences in how each machine measures the inharmonicity information of
any particular piano, and then differences in what each machine then does
with that information.  I happen to believe that the Verituner gets closest
to an ideal tuning without additional input from me.

The Peterson is another type altogether.  It is simply a template tuner.  As
you've noticed, it may get you close, but it doesn't have any information
from the piano to help match the tuning to the piano.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

MSN Messenger with backgrounds, emoticons and more.
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_customize