Square & Square Grand Plates/Farrell

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:01:23 -0800

Terry asked: "BTW - are the square plates plate steel or cast iron? They
sure seem =
flat and universally smooth ....... leading me to suspect they are plate =
steel (a plate plate or a cast plate?)."

Terry Farrell

Terry,
Yes.<G>
It depends on the vintage, etc. Most Square Pianos that had "plates" were a
"composite" type of construction. Most were made of Steel. Some were made of
Brass! Some were Bronze! A few were of Cast Iron, (Grey Metal). By the time
we got to the Square Grands, the material of choice was Cast Iron. (I know,
more information than you need!<G>)
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police