Leveling Coils & Pinching Becket(s)/Gordon Holley

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:28:47 -0800

Gordon said: "Joe Jarrett said that Jim Bryant gave him a coil setting tool,
which
I would assume would be used when restringing.  Is a picture of this
tool available?

Main question:  I've not tried to level coils 20 years after the
piano was restrung.  How is it done?.  I do have the typical string
leveling tool.  This I didn't find in the discussions between these
sage individuals.

Regards,
Gordon Holley

Gordon,
The first statement, (above)....methinks ya gots "oldstimers disease"!<G>
Never said that! However, I did comment on the "impact" type coil setter,
which I got from APSCO. I works just fine for such things as you describe.
Pinching the beckets can be done with "smooth jaw" needle nose Vise Grips.
Hope that helps. BTW, I did "modify" the Impact Coil setter.<G> I'll try to
scan it. Also, Joe Goss has a very good one available. If I didn't already
have one, that's the tool I'd get.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police