Fw: Leveling Coils & Pinching Becket

Tue, 4 Nov 2003 23:47:07 -0000

duck-billed plier.
Good luck! ;-)
Michael G (UK)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gordon Holley" <gholley@hi-techhousing.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 4:05 PM
Subject: Leveling Coils & Pinching Becket

> List.  I tuned a Kranish & Bach 5' Grand, 1918, last Saturday and was
> amazed at a terrible job of restringing another local technician (not
> a PTG member) did some 20 years back.  The owners had no idea what
> they were looking at but here's what I saw.
>
> 1. The pins were too high above the plate.

you'll have to use a pin punch with a cocktail stick fastened to the side
with masking tape to get the pins all the same height. But this is the very
last thing you do AFTER setting the coils and spacing etc.

> 2. The coils were not leveled AT ALL.
(Oh dear!)
> 3. The becket was not pinched in to the pin leaving a very visable
>       open loop before coming back to the pin on the first coil.
(Oh deary me!)
> 4. The strings were not spaced properly at all.

Some of the coils spacing tools (the not very good ones of 3/16" x 1/2"
metal) have a useful tri-cord slotted end for aligning and spacing the
strings.