Fw: "training" pianos?

Wed, 5 Nov 2003 00:19:20 -0000

Hello Tom
No... I haven'y heard that one - but one like it  "Madam, you mustn't =
play this piano for 48hours other wise the tuning will slip!" That =
signalled his get-away.....!
Regards
Michael G (UK)
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Tvak@aol.com=20
To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 12:08 AM
Subject: "training" pianos?

List

I recently tuned a 3 year old Baldwin console.  The client told me that =
thier piano didn't stay in tune for very long and that the previous =
tuner had told her that it was probably because she didn't have it tuned =
regularly when she first got it.  (This piano had not been tuned for =
over a year after they first got it.)  =20

Their tuner said that it hadn't been "trained" properly, and it would =
never hold a tune very well.

Now I had never heard of this and I told her so.  The piano was =
certainly out of tune when I first got there, but it had been about 9 =
months since it was last tuned, so there was nothing out of the ordinary =
as far as I could see.  The pins were Baldwin-tight.

I did my best to make my tuning as stable as possible, and I'll have to =
wait till they call for another tuning before I'll find out if there is =
an actual problem or not. =20

But, has anyone ever heard of such a thing?  If a piano is not tuned =
regularly in its early life, it will never hold a tune?  I can't fathom =
that this could be true...sounds like a line of BS. =20

But then, what do I know? (Answer: Less and less as time goes on!)

Tom Sivak