"training" pianos?

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:00:49 -0500

> In a message dated 05/11/03 8:55:49 AM, RNossaman@cox.net writes:
>
> << But I thought I already knew his reasons, and I don't
> think that's them. >>

That's what happens when you think.

It is true that I am responsible for these pianos from the time they are
unboxed until the time they get their free in-home tuning. Those that
elect to tune in 6 months and then depending on play, once a year, are
simply a joy to work with, regardless of what name is on the
fallboard..those that tune every 6 months are even more of a joy. As a
matter of fact, I posted something about this a few weeks ago..about a
very loyal 6-month customer whose piano was literally 'perfectly in
tune' and I touched up unisons and made that call a 'no charge.
Now..that piano has a DC installed(Balwin Console) so that one MIGHT be
considered the 'exception'..but..and here's the debatable part:

Because we live under AC year 'round(most of us anyway), these pianos do
not go through the humidity swings that are so common in most other
parts of the country. The average relative humidity in the homes down
here is in the high 40's, low 50's AS LONG AS you have your AC on and
live like most people do down here..of course there are those who hate
AC and their pianos are a war everytime I go to tune them. Even though I
suggest to them a DC( and I admit it won't help THAT much in these
circumstances), these people are going to live their lives the way they
want to regardless of what kind of piano they have.

Ron, here is the typical scenario of a Grand being unboxed in the store
to the time of the 1st in-home tuning:

-Piano is tuned to A=442..most of them come in this way anyway, so it's
not much of a stretch to keep them there.
-Time is working for me now, because, as we all know, pianos aren't
moving THAT fast anymore, so the general overall pitch of the piano is
starting to drop because it is now it its first 'stable ' environment,
the dealer's floor..it's a tad drier than the environment that it just
came from..usually.
-Sometimes these pianos get a 2nd look..sometimes they don't..it depends
how long they've been on the floor and how quickly the overall pitch is
changing.
-Typically, the first tuning in the home is set to wherever A-4
lies..and usually it's a tad sharp yet.
-the 2nd tuning(1 year after the 6-month tuning) usually finds me
raising the pitch slightly(usually no more than 4-5cents and on average
2-0 cents).

>From the stories I hear from members of this list alone that are
lowering and raising pitch depending on the time of year, I'd call what
I just described pretty stable..in comparison.

Yes, I highly endorse Dampp-Chaser for those situations down here that
could really benefit from having one..and I base that judgment on how
these people choose to live their lives...let me put it to you this way,
there are a lot of DC's out on Sanibel because these people historically
like to have their windows open for a good part of the day..the DC
really helps in these situations.....and then there are those who live
on the water and hate AC and just spent $$$$ for a new pianos and wonder
why they can't enjoy it because of sticking keys and lousy tuning
and....there's not a lot of that anymore, but they still exist..and all
of us techs down here have at least a few of them in our databases.

I hope that answers some questions for you Ron, but I suspect I will get
asked more questions from you and anyone else who took the time to read
this..so all I can say is: I'll send you documentation if you're able to
read Access..and..ask away..I hope I have the answers.

-Phil Bondi(FL)
phil@philbondi.com