Yamaha hammers

cswearingen@daigger.com cswearingen@daigger.com
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:32:06 -0600

Hello,

                      "Isaac sur Noos"
                      <oleg-i@noos.fr>         To:       <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>, "Pianotech"
                      Sent by:                  <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      pianotech-bounces        cc:
                      @ptg.org                 Subject:  RE: Yamaha hammers

                      11/06/2003 01:24
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      oleg-i; Please
                      respond to
                      Pianotech

David,

As said before I am found of the Andre needles (Japan made) , I only
have them since august, but they are so sharp and thin they really go
deep where you want them.

I can provide you the size : thickness 0.7 mm - length 40 mm, the
eyelet is gold  treated , nice looking, and no need to cut the eyelet
to insert the needles in the holder.

When only 6 mm lenght is used and powerful needling is done, the
needles go really deep enough and they will not break (even at 6.5
mm) - unless the move is hesitant, the hammers are not firmly hold
with the other hand or the zen attitude gone somewhere ;>)

Needles sold by Renner to us are : # 5 (thickness 0.8 mm) # 6 -  0.75
mm - or #7 (0,7mm) they are all stainless steel nickel plated I guess,
so they can break, (not like soft John james) they all need to have
the eyelet cut (the French ones too)

The French needles (brand BOHIN)are more in an ogive shape than the
English ones or other needles, their metal quality is better than
English ones but because of their shape they are acting more thick
that corresponding English or German ones, a # 7 French needle act
like a #6 English one for instance, even if the body is thinner - that
is what I guess .

I am unsure that soft needles allow the strong jabs and the use of the
arm like a ream that are necessary to first needling, when I tried
them they where always bending - may be I should experiment less
problems with them  actually !

I trained myself to needle a little square zone in a single head hold
with 3 fingers on a table, while needling from a 25-30 cm heigh with
force, afterthat no fear of holes in the fingers and a better
understanding that the straight move rarely break the needles. Feeling
its arm and shoulder is the difficult part in fact, particularely when
sitting at the piano in a somewhat inconfortable posture.

Anyway slow needling produce only results in the battery, or for
probing, it does not free enough energy in the felt while using the
resources, so I stay away of it, even for the crown only weight
regulation is necessary, to feel the feedback, slowliness oblige to
needle more.

I like to write - hope its not too unclear.

Best regards.

Isaac OLEG
accordeur - reparateur - concert
oleg-i@noos.fr