Key dip

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 23:19:27 EST

Clyde,

        In my experience at school, there was a similar problem in a studio
upright in one of the rooms at school. There were no punchings that could be
removed except the the cloth ones from under the balance rail. Our teacher
suggested that the key itself may have swelled from moisture and never shrunk back
and the whole key lever may be a slight bit bigger (hence sit higher on the
balance rail than originally made to).
        We took about a 150 sandpaper and sanded off a slight bit to bring
the key back down. It worked. But we only sanded a few thousandths. When one
sands, the bottom of a key, it must be sanded a bit, put back tested then
removed, sanded a bit more, checked again and one has to keep repeating the process
until the desired height is achived (Just a possiblity) Does this make sense?

Julie
Reading