Full Service Appointments

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 07 Nov 2003 07:11:20 -0500

Friends,

Let me chime in here with another viewpoint.  We need full service technicians
for those who can recognize and want that level of service for their pianos,
but we also need those who do good work but are willing to keep their services
pretty basic.

I have customers who would never want to pay for full service because when the
technician is finished they can't tell the difference anyway.  I heard such a
comment several days ago.  People hate paying for something that has no benefit
they can recognize.

When customers seem to be asking me for services I am not skilled enough to
provide (which rarely happens), I am very comfortable referring them to someone
who is more qualified than I.  That basic honesty seems to go a long way.  I
came into this profession rather late and did not have the benefit of formal
schooling or working in a piano shop, so I will never be qualified at the same
level some of you are.

But I have been successful, too, judging by the referrals I get, many more than
I could ever handle, even though I suspect my charges are above the average.
And my income is above average also, while tuning only four days per week.
Yes, I service a lot of mediocre pianos and some rotten ones, but someone has
to do good work on them, too.

I have tremendous respect for piano rebuilders, whom I think must know
everything about everything.  But then again maybe they don't.  Some of us in
the field become pros at things they never have to deal with and may not be as
good at as we are.  So I maintain that there's room and need for all of us,
understanding of course that no one should be ripping off their customers by
charging for doing crappy work.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT