Full Service Appointments

Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:50:01 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 07, 2003 6:55 AM
Subject: Re: Full Service Appointments

> I guess it depends on what you consider basic.  I think Barbara, Carol,
Del
> and I are suggesting that some things beyond just tuning are basic.  My
> approach has been to never underestimate what the customer is able to
> perceive.  While there may be a few who cannot tell the difference, there
> are many more who can but don't realize that a better sounding piano was
> possibility.  I think you'd be surprised at how often a little bit of
> voicing will elicit the "Gee, I never knew my piano could sound like
that"
> response.  It's that kind of response that often leads to a dialogue
about
> additional work or, as Del mentioned, complete rebuilding.
>
> David Love
> davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

I tried to avoid making judgment calls about my customers abilities -- or
the lack thereof. They were asking me to service the piano, not evaluate
their personal lives. Often folks are getting the piano ready for a family
members visit, like the daughter who practiced on the piano as a child and
went on to become a piano major in school. Or for the party coming up with
several guests who are accomplished pianists. Ours is not to question
why...ours is but to do and leave.

Del