smooth delicate and creamy

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sat, 08 Nov 2003 08:24:37

Hi Wayne,

Probably the big "mistake" is that you are trying to pitch correct too
much. Next time you tune a piano that is mere 4 cents flat (at A4)--take
the time to measure A3, A4, A5, and A6 after you have finished. I suspect
you will find they are not where you placed them originally.

Then next mistake may be that you are pounding too hard on the notes. Learn
to tune softly.

There are a few tuners who use two tuning levers and tune "both ways" from
the middle alternating from bass to treble on each extension of the
temperament octave.

Speed in tuning becomes important because pianos are very dynamic and react
to very small changes in both temperature and humidity very quickly.

Select the aural "test" for the various octave types that you hear best.
Don't get caught up in analysis paralysis.