smooth delicate and creamy

Sat, 8 Nov 2003 18:54:06 -0800

I think that with respect to stability (not to mention wear and tear on
various body parts) there is actually a point of diminishing returns with
how hard you "bang" it during tuning.  You need to play (note I didn't say
hit or bang) the note hard enough to move things through the friction
points and to a point of equilibrium, but I think that you can hit is so
hard that extreme extrusion can actually can put the segments out of
equilibrium.  Nothing scientific here, just my experience.  I try to never
play the note so hard or in such a way that the tone it produces is
unmusical.  Firm yes, but if you keep it musical, you won't overdo it.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Baldwin
> upright a hammer came flying out at me. Is that hard enough? It *is*
> possible to get great stability without *bashing* til the (as you call
them
> in England) rollers are flat. And yes I tune for *hard* players. One
client
> in particular can choose to break a key, a string, or a hammer shank.
Don't
> like his playing much--but he does have "control".
>
> At 08:57 PM 11/8/2003 -0000, you wrote:
> >Hello Don Rose
> >I wonder if I might take you up on on item?
> >You wrote:
>
> >"Then next mistake may be that you are pounding too hard on the notes.
Learn
> >to tune softly."
> >
> >With this I completely and utterly dis-agree!
> >Why?
> >The next person who plays harder than you tuned it will knock it out of
> >tune. Who's to know "he" hasn't got a lumberjack for a friend? One of our
> >reps is the hardest player I've ever heard - he breaks strings on Yams -
> >he's like a whole orchestra in the Pit (which is what he's supposed to
be!)
> >yet only because I tune harder than he plays is the piano still in tune
> >after a week of such treatment!
> >Now... shoot me down in flames if you like but (as someone else said) I
am
> >what I am and he is what he is. And my tuning doesn't wander in the
middle
> >of an LPO recording session either - so that's something in my favour!
> >BTW IU use a "T" hammer for grands.
> >Regards ;-)
> >Michael G (UK) must get my five-year-old into bed now in
Sussex-by-the-Sea