ETDs/unisons/vowels

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 10:14:46 -0500

If, as one person put it, when tuning a unison, we are
changing the "vowel" sound, what does this really mean?

Differences between vowels are caused by different strengths
of various partials, rather than by differences in inharmonicity.  So how
do you change the strength of a partial by making small tension
adjustments?  The only thing I can think of is that there is a range
of tensions where the fundamentals will stay in phase due to
sympathetic vibrations, and within this range, other partials may
be aligned or misaligned, and this alignment/misalignment affects the
net strength of the partial by causing it to be reinforced or not.

I have tuned unisons using ETD so that the fundamentals are well-
matched, and the resulting sound to me is "hot" (particularly if done
across the whole piano), like someone turned the treble knob all
the way up, emphasizing some high partials (think tape hiss).

Aurally tuned unisons do not have this characteristic.

So is the well-tuned unison designed to de-emphasize particular
partials? This would seem to be the case.

Experiment: tune 2 strings with ETD so fundamentals are in
phase.  Measure each partial (inharmonicity is as good as
any, just need some relative pitch in cents). Retune by ear
and remeasure.  Which partials align? Which don't?  What
does the spectral display show for the strength of the partials
when the strings are played together?  In particular, which
partials decreased in strength?

-Mark