ETDs/unisons/vowels

antares antares@euronet.nl
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:55:37 +0100

I have learned that if you strike a note very hard, you put the
emphasis on the higher partials. In other words : you then listen to
the higher partials in particular and the result will be a thin, narrow
and shrill tone.
If you strike less hard, you put the emphasis on the lower partials and
the result is a broad, coarse grained and very rich sounding tone.

I told this once to a very well known Dutch pianist, who thought I was
telling him a bs story.
Of course I insisted on letting him hear what I had told him, and I
tuned two unisons for him (on his own STW D) : one unison I tuned
striking the key very hard (the so called usual concert tuning), the
other unison I banged less hard and the result was very clear.
He had to take back his words but found it very hard to believe
nevertheless.

After I first learned this (in Japan, from Tsuji-san) I changed my
technique and now try to strike less hard, but it depends on the
tunability of the instrument : if the tuning pins are very tight, it is
very difficult to manipulate them.

antares
the Netherlands

www.concertpianoservice.nl