ETDs/unisons/vowels

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:22:01 -0500

Antares wrote:

> I have learned that if you strike a note very hard, you put the
> emphasis on the higher partials. In other words : you then listen to
> the higher partials in particular and the result will be a thin, narrow
> and shrill tone.
> If you strike less hard, you put the emphasis on the lower partials and
> the result is a broad, coarse grained and very rich sounding tone.
>
> I told this once to a very well known Dutch pianist, who thought I was
> telling him a bs story.
> Of course I insisted on letting him hear what I had told him, and I
> tuned two unisons for him (on his own STW D) : one unison I tuned
> striking the key very hard (the so called usual concert tuning), the
> other unison I banged less hard and the result was very clear.
> He had to take back his words but found it very hard to believe
> nevertheless.

Have you (or anyone) tried analyzing this using ETD?  E.g. finding
the exact frequencies of the partials of each string and see what
coincides, what doesn't, etc.  Also perhaps measuring the relative
strengths of partials when all strings are played vs when individual
ones are played (using, for instance, Verituner spectrum display)?

-Mark