"The invisible tool"

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 19:09:13 +0100

------=_NextPart_001_0050_01C3A6F4.F6A2EED0
Hi Michael,

I seem to recall that Bob Davis own a VT 100 EDT, As this tuner is based on
a real time spectrum analysis circuitry, it gives the partial ladder in cts
on the display, and more, these are recorded into the memory for all notes
of the instrument.

This EDT is the one that works the most in the same way than our tuner's
ear, that is why this is easier to agree with the information proposed when
using them.

Sometime you tune a piano and see that the opening of the octaves is really
not that large in the 5e octave, just to see after that that it was
necessary to have a high treble falling in love with the medium zone.
Usually that bothers me too much to see that the machine is right when I
believe not, so I shut it and finish by ear !

What the EDT does not have is the 6th sense that edict you to add a little
stretch there or there (or on the first string tuned of the unison) an
attempt is made allowing us to ask for a slight fixed over pull, for
instance 5 %, but the reading of the screen is less easy (and slower)  then,
so I had to take the habit to understand that what the display show is where
the FINAL pitch may end, not always the same that the pitch I am tuning at
the moment.

As you said, watching an EDT all along the instrument is sowing things, but
having the EDT not in front, but a little on my side, confirming me that
that I are doing a good job is convenient for me.

Often, when I want to look at it, the display does not show the good note
because it has been disturbed by aural checks, so better go to the next note
and use the EDT for the final checks and polishing.

A friend , new user of the VT (the second one in France) comes by to see how
I use it, and after watching me tuning a temperament and a few notes above ,
that I done with my usual manner, he say ;:" Now I understand how you do :
you never look at it :°)

Joke apart, I tuned a CT80 without amplification in a very noisy environment
a few weeks ago, almost without checks, chromatically (and the VT never
recorded this one) I have NEVER heard a CP 80 that tone so just, nor so
good, particularly in the bass.

Best regards.

                       Pianomania

                        Isaac OLEG
                        accordeur - reparateur - concert  19 rue Jules Ferry
                        94400 VITRY sur SEINE
                        oleg-i@noos.fr  tel:
                              fax:
                              mobile:  033 01 47 18 06 98
                              33 01 47 18 06 90
                              033 06 60 42 58 77

            Powered by Plaxo Want a signature like this?