Steel/Jig Strength

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 07:16:39 -0500

Anyone on the list have a little metallurgy/mechanical-engineering =
background?

I've made myself a little pneumatic contraption for laminating ribs. I =
seem to have just about everything worked out for proper function =
(actually, works quite a bit better than I had hoped!) except for some =
excessive jig flex. I have a 1.5-inch-thick Delignit pinblock =
incorporated into the jig for stiffness, but I still seem to be getting =
several millimeters of flex in the middle of the 5-foot long jig when I =
pressure up. So I think the solution is to put a couple of angle irons, =
or steel channels along the length of the jig. This thing is getting =
VERY heavy, so I prefer to not use any more steel than needed.

Being that my pinblock stiffener flexes - say - up to 3 or 4 millimeters =
over 5 feet, how big a channel (and wall thickness) will I need to have =
less than 1 mm flex (zero would be better). I'm figuring maybe a minimum =
of 5 to 10 times the current stiffness to get to less than 1 mm flex. =
The dimensions I pick out of thin air is to get at least two 2" x 2" x =
1/4"-wall channels. I have proven to myself that I can overbuild just =
about any jig, but can anyone help me fine tune these dimensions a =
little more efficiently - maybe based at least in part on some =
science/engineering-related criteria?

Thanks.

Terry Farrell