Steel/Jig Strength

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 07:54:06 EST

In a message dated 11/10/03 7:17:11 AM, mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

>=20
> I've made myself a little pneumatic contraption for laminating ribs. I see=
m=20
> to have just about everything worked out for proper function (actually, wo=
rks=20
> quite a bit better than I had hoped!)=A0except for some excessive jig flex=
. I=20
> have a=A01.5-inch-thick=A0Delignit pinblock incorporated into the jig for=20
> stiffness, but I still=A0seem to be getting several millimeters of flex in=
 the middle=20
> of the 5-foot long jig when I pressure up. So I think the solution is to p=
ut=20
> a couple of=A0angle irons, or steel channels along the length of the jig.=20=
This=20
> thing is getting VERY heavy, so I prefer to not use any more steel than=20
> needed.
>=20
>=20

I've no science background, but i've made numerous structural steel jigs.
My first jigs used steel as a monoblock material, a "one piece big enough to=
=20
resist" approach.
That is off target. What you want is a little teeny bridge structure. In=20
other words, multiple pieces of steel with lots of triangle shapes for rigid=
ity.=20
This way there is not too much mass, but great rigidity. If you don't want t=
his=20
large "fab" job, use a steel channel or even an "I" beam, but then it will b=
e=20
heavy; I store my big jigs outside and paint them. A necessity after my firs=
t=20
14 foot long soundboard jig. BTW don't order steel from your friendly=20
supplier, check the scrapyards for material. You can't pick and choose as mu=
ch, but=20
it's way cheaper. You may consider this close to dumpster diving, but It is=20
invaluable to the machine builder. At the scrapyard you don't worry so much=20=
about=20
the calculations, just buy way over what you need, and start an outside=20
storage rack area. If you start fab work like this, access a sawzall for cut=
s, or a=20
torch. A resinod cutting disc in a tablesaw is a BAD idea. If you have=20
specifics shoot them back, happy to answer from no-training and 12 yrs. of p=
ractical=20
experience.
Glenn C.