Winter Blues

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:16:01 EST

Liszt,

If you ever find yourself unfortunate enough to be tuning a winter spinet
circa 1940s, do not, repeat, DO NOT attempt to move the backchecks even slightly.
 The whippens are mounted on plastic flanges, and they are now of an age that
renders them quite brittle.

I was tuning one of these little beasts yesterday, and I attempted to
regulate one of the backchecks, thereby snapping the whippen flange.  Pulled the
action out, replaced flange, put action back in, resumed tuning, and immediately
found another broken flange...guess where I'm going this morning?

Oh yeah, the damper flanges are also made of the same yellowing plastic.  The
hammerflanges, thank goodness, are made of wood!

Just offering you all fair warning.

Dave Stahl