Loose Tuning Pins

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:16:39 EST

In a message dated 11/13/03 12:15:54 PM, anrebe@zianet.com writes:

> I was seriously thinking of replacing the tuning pins with longer and
> fatter ones.=A0 I am interested in comments regarding this.=A0 Should the=20=
hole
> be drilled out to remove damaged wood fiber?=A0 If so, how much smaller th=
an
> the tuning pin should the drill bit diameter be?=A0 After getting them in=20=
and
> bringing the strings up to tune should I hammer them in so they are
> even?=A0 (It is still hard for me to predict height after stringing and=20
> tuning.)
>=20

If there is some clearence from bottom of coil and plate/bushing, try to pop=
=20
dem down further into the block. Try a rock hammer. Torque values go 20%-50%=
=20
higher. If way lucky pins are tapered. If you repin try same length and two=20
sizes larger since you lose some hole diameter in reaming action just pullin=
g the=20
old pin. Same for hammering in new pin so no need to ream otherwise.
Glenn C.