pinblock duplicating jig

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:21:58 -0600

Andrew,

 From the pianotech archives. There's also probably a lot more!

Avery

Do you have a bandsaw? Know somebody who has one? It's really not so hard.
Most of the supply companies only supply you with a block of wood in the
vague shape of what you need anyway. The rest is up to you. You can get a
blank piece of pinblock material from almost any of the supply houses. They
come in different thicknesses, so you'll want to see what the old one is
before you order the plank. Take a look at the old pinblock. It will
probably have an edge (that went against the plate flange) that has a bevel
on it. It's usually not too severe, normally 3 or 4 degrees or so. I never
measure it, so I don't know. You'll want to cut that edge of the new
pinblock on about the same angle.

The way I do it, is to lay the old pinblock on the table of the bandsaw
(not running) and tilt the table until the blade lines up with the beveled
edge of the pinblock. Check it in several places along the length of the
pinblock, but most of the time, it'll be pretty consistent. Once you have
the angle set, the bandsaw is ready to go. Take a square along the bottom
of the old pinblock and up in the front, where the bevel is, in such a way
as to see how square it isn't. Measure how far it is from the top edge of
the bevel to the square. It's not terribly critical, but at least get an
idea of what it is.

Now do the same thing for the other end (usually the same, but it's good to
check). Most of the ones I've done are around 1/8", give or take a little.
Lay the old pinblock on top of the new blank so that the long straight side
will be the long side of the new blank. It's already straight. Now, to take
into consideration the bevel, let the old pinblock overhang the new blank
by the 1/8" (or whatever) measurement you took earlier. Clamp it in place
so it won't move and trace a line on the new blank following the old
pinblock as a pattern. While you have it clamped, don't forget to mark the
ends the pinblock so you'll know where to cut off the ends. (By the way,
when I'm doing this, the top of the pinblocks are facing up, and the
bottoms of the pinblocks are facing down.) You're ready to cut out your
pinblock.

Pay attention that you cut out your new pinblock on the same side of the
bandsaw blade as you had your old pinblock while setting the angle, same
side up, and same ends in the same direction. Now, cut it out. One thing
though. You've taken the time to make a nice line to follow, do follow it.
Take your time. Cut it as accurately as you can. It's good to cut it out
with the intention of leaving the line, especially if you're planning to
fit it the old fashioned way. You can always run the straight side of the
block over the jointer if it's too big.

That being said, I'm not opposed to making small changes to a new pinblock
if I think it will make for a better construction than was original. If
there's no reason why it wasn't glued / screwed / doweled to the case and /
or the stretcher in the first place, many times I will put it back in a
more secure way than it came out. Explanations can get a little convoluted
at this point without actually being in front of the piano, but sometimes
to make those kinds of changes, you might need a bit more wood on the
stretcher side of the pinblock. You just take all that into account when
you're cutting this thing out. Think about things before you cut, and use
some common sense. You'll do just fine.

Guess what? You've just done what the supply houses would have done for
you, and it probably took me longer to type this into my computer than it
would have for me to have done it. Now as for fitting the pinblock, that's
another story. There are a number of ways to do it, either applying chalk
of some kind and grinding down the high spots, or using some type of epoxy
to fill in all the gaps. If you've done this part before, you probably know
what to do. If you need some pointers, just ask. I've got to get back to my
pinblock now. Unfortunately, it's not so easy, as it's the multi-leveled,
sloped, curved, otherwise kind of a pain in the neck to duplicate Knabe
pinblock I've been putting off. Seriously, though, it's going well. Should
have it done in another day or two. Best wishes, and good luck with your
pinblock. Brian Trout Quarryville, PA