Sostenuto (was Re: an old broadwood)

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:01:51 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>Allen,
>
>I read in "Men, Women & Pianos" that Boisselot & Sons of Marseille
>exhibited an instrument at the 1844 Paris exposition that had such a
>foot-operated contrivance. I don't know about any patents, though, so I
>guess Steinway gets the credit.
>
>Tom Cole
>
>Allen Wright wrote:
>>
>>Isaac,
>>
>>By way of trivial pursuit:
>>
>>I gave a chapter technical on the sostenuto pedal a few years back and in my
>>research came up with the fact that Claude Montal invented the sostenuto
>>pedal in 1864 in Paris, which was then improved upon and patented by
>>Steinway in this country in 1875.
>>
>>I can't remember where I found that tidbit - it may have been the Rosamund
>>Harding book. I also can't believe that stayed in my memory, when 98% of
>>everything else is gone (!)...I think it's something about his name, and the
>>fact that a blind man invented the sostenuto. It seems appropriate, somehow.
>>
>>I'd like to know more about this blind inventor and piano builder.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>
>>Allen Wright
>>Cincinnati, Ohio

Funny how Steinway seems to get the credit for most things piano.  I don't
know about the French examples, but as far as American patents:

Patent 33180 by W Bigelow on September 3, 1861 is for a primitive form of sostenuto for a reed organ.  'A system of hooks controlled by a pedal for the purpose of keeping the keys depressed and prolonging the tones of the reeds for as long a time as desired after the removal of the fingers of the player from the keys'.

Patent 153,766 by M Hanchett on August 4, 1874.  'My invention relates to a mechanical attachment, suited to all kinds, styles, and patterns of piano-fortes, whereby it is designed to enable a performer to sustain or permit the continuance of sound of a single one, two, or more strings or unisons after a key or keys by which the vibrations were produced have returned to their place of rest'.  'I propose to call my improvement a "Sostenuto Pedal".'

Patent 156,388 by A Steinway on October 27, 1874 is for a sostenuto mechanism which differs slightly in form from that of M Hanchett.

Phil Ford

Phillip Ford
Piano Service and Restoration
San Francisco, CA