Help with Steinway Model/tail-plate embossing

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 05:59:45 -0600

Michael G,

At 11:34 11/18/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Hello list and Robin Hufford

>   I think, in
>1910, the company must have become concerned with people being able to
>read these so they substituted a letter where the year would have
>been.   One must count alphabetically the number the letter represents,
>beginning with the letter A and add to this ten.  This then represents
>the year of the dating.

I've known about this practice for some time but never knew the starting
year.  For a while, I tried to remember to record the work letter/number
for each S$S I tuned and relate them to the year
manufactured.  Unfortunately, I do not have a vast collection of serial
numbers, but I _have_ come to the suspicion that they didn't/don't use all
the letters of the alphabet in this practice.

Can anyone confirm or deny my suspicions?

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is
what you get from not reading it.