Sostenuto flange replacemement

Rob Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:18:25 -0800

Can I assume you mean the metal pin that is going through the trapwork =
lever itself?  That being the case that would be a rare occassion =
indeed.  When a PDS is installed in a piano the stock sostenuto trapwork =
is removed entirely and replaced with aluminum trapwork that comes with =
the kit.  It is possible that the hole in the aluminum was drilled too =
large and the pin simply fell out.  That being the case you need to =
remove the aluminum lever and simply pound the pin back in.  I would do =
so with some epoxy in the hole which will hopefully keep the pin in this =
time.

What suprises me is that it was the sostenuto.  I didn't know anyone =
ever used that  pedal!  ;-)

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

    Greetings,=20

                 I was called to tune a PianoDisc grand piano mfg'd by =
Young Chang. Finding c#63 seized, I removed the action drawer only to =
find a sostenuto flange lodged there, causing the problem. It was =
removed easy enough, and the key plays fine, but how does one re-pin the =
flange back in the trapwork?   I know how to re-pin, however I never =
removed the trapwork on a grand. Is this a common occurance that one of =
these pops out, or did I come upn the obscure?
    Piano is owned by a small hotel. The owner claims it happened while =
it was being played for a wedding.=20

    Julie
    Reading, PA