Square Grand Scaling Question

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:21:15 -0800

RicB,
There were, over many years/countries different designations for wire sizes.
Some, specifically pertained to steel, while others specifically to copper.
The whole picture blurs with integration of these systems. I'd have to look
it up in my "statistics" book. If it were me, I'd just take the micrometer
readings, (in mm for European pianos and decimals for american. The British
really screwed things up with their own designations.<G>), and translate to
known wire sizes of today. Also, if the wire "feels" limp, it's not "modern"
steel wire, but rather "cast/iron" wire. That's a whole different bucket of
worms. For that, I'd defer to Malcom Rose for clarification.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I