Upright Sostenuto

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:18:48 -0600

Many thanks to all who responded.

Paul, I did bow out, but for my own education, for "next time", I would
like to learn more about how to regulate these animals.

Joe, you say "if the dampers lift at less than 1/2 the key stroke, then the
tabs will not be "forced" by the sostenuto bar".  But it seems to me that
as long as all the dampers lift at the same point, it shouldn't matter
whether it's 1/2, or 1/3, or 2/3 keystroke.  I would want the sostenuto bar
to lift the dampers beyond the point of initial contact, to get out of the
way of the other notes dampers, but because of the way the sharpened ends
of the metal wires contacted the rubber bar, I was afraid they would chew
through the rubber, so it's currently set up such that the bar only holds
the dampers at the height that the keys lift them.

Dave, Jon, and Julia, thanks for mentioning the manufacturer's models that
actually work - I hope I run into one soon so I can check out how they do
it.

Mike

Michael Spalding
spalding48@earthlink.net